COVID-19 and Minnesota ABE
MDE ABE State Office Communications
Statement regarding Minnesota Adult Basic Education Services and COVID-19 (sent out via email on March 17, 2020)
COVID-19 and ABE FAQ (sent out via email on March 20, 2020)
MDE ABE State Office Webinars
For recorded webinars related to ABE and COVID-19, go to State ABE Presentations.
COVID-19 related resources for ABE
COVID-19 & Distance Education Resource Hub is a Schoology group for ABE practitioners and programs to share resources, ideas, and questions around COVID-19 and its impact on MN adult education programs. To join the group: Sign up for a Schoology account (if you haven’t already) as an instructor at www.schoology.com. Then go to the Groups tab at the top of the screen. Click on My Groups > Join a Group. Enter the group access code: 4PQM-9XNK-FRF7X, and you’re in!
About Minnesota ABE
Minnesota Adult Basic Education (ABE) is a state-wide system that serves approximately 65,000 adults annually. ABE students are working towards a high school credential, learning English, improving basic skills such as literacy and math, and/or preparing for post-secondary education or employment. ABE is funded with both federal and state funds, and services are delivered through a network of 41 consortia comprising all Minnesota school districts as well as other partners including the correctional system and community-based organizations.
Minnesota Adult Basic Education Office Equity Statement
The state Adult Basic Education (ABE) office is committed to creating educational equity.
- We commit to recognizing the historical conditions and barriers that have prevented opportunity and success in learning for students based on their race, class, and other identities.
- We commit to working to dismantle the belief in a hierarchy of human value, with a focus on racial equity.
- We commit to fostering positive and effective learning environments for all by eliminating institutional policies that uphold oppressive systems of power and privilege.
- We commit to collaboratively creating a learning community within the ABE system that promotes opportunities for self-reflection, growth, and change.
We see ABE as key to building educated, engaged, and just communities for all Minnesotans.
On this website you can:
- Learn about the ABE system in Minnesota
- Look for Minnesota ABE policies.
- Learn about services provided to the field of ABE by the ABE Support Network providers.
- Find information about types of ABE instruction, including ESL and GED Prep.
- Find information and resources about Adult Diploma, Career Pathways or Distance Learning.
- Find contact info for staff at the Minnesota Department of Education who support the ABE system state-wide.
- Visit the Frequently Asked Questions list.
- Explore other information about Adult Basic Education in MInnesota by visiting the menu links on the left.