COVID-19 and Minnesota ABE
MDE ABE State Office Communications
Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 and ABE Programs (May 21, 2020)
Statement on ABE Programming for Summer 2020 (sent out via email on May 19, 2020)
Statement Regarding Temporarily Waiving the 12-Hour Training Requirement for Current Volunteers Who Are Tutoring Remotely (sent out via email on May 18, 2020)
Statement Approving Remote Testing (sent out via email on May 14, 2020)
Statement on Permitting GED Testing in Public School Buildings (sent out via email on May 6, 2020)
ABE Memo - Temporary Lifting of 12-hour Restriction (sent out via email on April 29, 2020)
Statement regarding Continued School Closures and Future ABE Funding (sent out via email on April 28, 2020)
Statement regarding Minnesota Adult Basic Education Services and COVID-19 (sent out via email on March 17, 2020)
MDE ABE State Office Webinars
For recorded webinars related to ABE and COVID-19, go to State ABE Presentations.
COVID-19 related resources for ABE
COVID-19 & Distance Education Resource Hub is a Schoology group for ABE practitioners and programs to share resources, ideas, and questions around COVID-19 and its impact on MN adult education programs. To join the group: Sign up for a Schoology account (if you haven’t already) as an instructor at www.schoology.com. Then go to the Groups tab at the top of the screen. Click on My Groups > Join a Group. Enter the group access code: 4PQM-9XNK-FRF7X, and you’re in!
About Minnesota ABE
Minnesota Adult Basic Education (ABE) is a state-wide system that serves approximately 65,000 adults annually. ABE students are working towards a high school credential, learning English, improving basic skills such as literacy and math, and/or preparing for post-secondary education or employment. ABE is funded with both federal and state funds, and services are delivered through a network of 41 consortia comprising all Minnesota school districts as well as other partners including the correctional system and community-based organizations.
Minnesota Adult Basic Education Office Equity Statement
The state Adult Basic Education (ABE) office is committed to creating educational equity.
- We commit to recognizing the historical conditions and barriers that have prevented opportunity and success in learning for students based on their race, class, and other identities.
- We commit to working to dismantle the belief in a hierarchy of human value, with a focus on racial equity.
- We commit to fostering positive and effective learning environments for all by eliminating institutional policies that uphold oppressive systems of power and privilege.
- We commit to collaboratively creating a learning community within the ABE system that promotes opportunities for self-reflection, growth, and change.
We see ABE as key to building educated, engaged, and just communities for all Minnesotans.
On this website you can:
- Learn about the ABE system in Minnesota
- Look for Minnesota ABE policies.
- Learn about services provided to the field of ABE by the ABE Support Network providers.
- Find information about types of ABE instruction, including ESL and GED Prep.
- Find information and resources about Adult Diploma, Career Pathways or Distance Learning.
- Find contact info for staff at the Minnesota Department of Education who support the ABE system state-wide.
- Visit the Frequently Asked Questions list.
- Explore other information about Adult Basic Education in MInnesota by visiting the menu links on the left.